Wednesday, September 2

HISTORICAL PLACES IN YOUR BACKYARD

Today I was reading an article in a magazine talking about how instead of watching the history channels to learn history, how about taking your children to see where history was made in your own state. That got me thinking about what historical places there are here in Utah. I recently moved back to Utah from Ohio, before that living in South Florida. I have heard people say they haven't taken the time to see something in their state and it took someone coming to town to visit to get them there.

When I was younger, I feel like my parents took us to many historical places, like the Golden Spike Museum where the Union Pacific and Central Pacific Railroads met in 1869.  But I haven't taken the time to see anything else. Watching the history channel last week, there was a program on about the Civil War Battlefields.  They are being taken over by residential and commercial property.  My point is that the generation today isn't getting to see the great historical landmarks of yesterday and if we wait too long to show them these sites, they will be taken over by a gas station, or market.

So I pose the question.  What historical places are in your city, county, or state?  When was the last time you took your neices, nephews, and/or kids to see a part of history.  If you don't know what is in your area check these out.  National Historic Landmarks, National Register of Historic Places, and Civil War Preservation Trust.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online